Each European Union Member State must submit to the European Commission the names, details and code number of recognised control bodies. You can find certified control bodies by country in the European Commission list.
To prevent fraud, CERTISYS® maintains relationships with other control bodies and the Authorities. Information is circulated between these bodies in Belgium as well as on a European level, between other Authorities and the European Commission thanks, in particular, to the Rapid Alert System for Food and Feed (RASFF).
There is also a platform for coordinating control bodies on a European level, The European Organic Certifiers Council (EOCC) which aims to improveco-operation and share information between bodies.
Non-certified operators who advertise “Organic” products
Like any other sector, Organic products are not free from breaches or even fraud. CERTISYS® monitors the development of organic products. Its mission is primarily preventative, to avoid fraud. If breaches or fraud do occur, it intervenes and imposes appropriate sanctions.
The European Organic system is transparent and accessible. It enables all citizens to check if an operator or product claiming to be Organic is actually certified as Organic. It offers a guarantee of credibility and trust. If you are unable to find the name of the operator or their certificate in the CERTISYS® database, it either means that this operator is controlled and certified by another control body or that this operator does not have Organic certification at all.
What should you do in that case?
Notify the relevant Region by sending an email:
- Mention the name of the company / person
- Provide details of a website/Facebook page/Instagram account if relevant
- Ideally include screen grabs
Who should you contact in your region?
- Wallonia: email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org
- Brussels: email@example.com
- Flanders: firstname.lastname@example.org
Links to certified Organic operators:
- List of operators certified as Organic by CERTISYS®
- List of all Belgian Organic operators on biocerti.be
- The list of all Luxembourg operators can be found on the websites of control bodies