The European Commission drew up a list with recognized as equivalent certification bodies. The list mentions the countries and product categories for which the certification bodies are recognized. This list was published in Commission Regulation (EC) 1235/2008 Annex IVwhich is updated regularly.
Certisys is one of these recognized certification bodies. It certifies all non-processed organic vegetal products and processed agricultural products for human consumption in 12 countries : Benin, Burundi, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Mali, Ouganda, Rwanda, Senegal, Tanzania and Togo. Exported products have a code number refering to Certisys as for instance SN-BIO-128 for Senegalese products.
Imported organic products shall always be accompanied by a Certificat of Inspection. See the regulation in force (Annex IV of 1235/2008).
Certisys has also been recognized by Switzerland for import of products from those 12 countries. See the latest list of certification bodies recognized by Switzerland.
The marketing of organic-certified food products involves controlling every aspect of the production chain, from the growing and harvesting of the raw materials up to the export of the product. You can find online full information on the regulations, the forms to be completed and our rates. Practical guide - International certification (outside of the EU)(pdf)
The controls, carried out by a Certisys inspector, consist inter alia in checking::
- the compliance of the project description with the visit of the various production sites, with regard to the area cultivated, the origin of the plant material and technical operations, as well as the administrative records and the traceability of harvests,
- the source of the certificates of the primary raw materials,
- storage areas,
- measures for separating conventional and organic products,
- processing formulas and procedures,
- packaging and labelling materials. Samples may be taken at any stage during the manufacturing process (from the land to the finished product, including all the intermediary stages) if there are any doubts regarding the compliance of the production method. The analyses will be carried out by an accredited laboratory.
There are several types of controls:
- an annual control: the programme must be inspected every year (at least once every 12 months),
- an additional control (charged to the client) may be carried out if significant changes are made to your project during the year or if we require additional indispensable information,
- random controls on the basis of risk analysis.
In order to reduce the cost of the inspections, you are free to operate setting out from an internal auditing system implemented by a group of producers. In that case, CERTISYS inspects the internal auditing procedures in place. The internal auditing consists of technical guidance and support for the producers in the area of organic farming (agricultural education and extension system), the identification of the producers, the land parcels, verification of compliance with the requirements of organic farming. The final chapter of this document has full details of group certifications. Producers Groupment Certification - non UE(pdf)
It is possible to market wild plants growing spontaneously in natural areas, forests and agricultural areas with the organic guarantee provided that:
- these areas have not been subjected, during a period of at least three years before the harvest, to processing using products other than those whose utilisation is authorised in organic production,
- the harvest does not affect the stability of the natural habitat or the preservation of species in the harvesting areas.
Do you want to refer to the inspection body that controls your products? Follow the labelling rules specified in your case.